Thursday, October 25, 2012

Gifts of Nature

 
Take a little walk anytime of the year, and with your eyes open, you will find gifts of nature.
This time it was Osage oranges.  My neighbors toss them into large leaf collection bags.  They are a nuisance to the home owners that live in close proximity to one of these trees, but to me they are treasures of the season.  So pretty in a bowl, that pop of color is beautiful with all the gold and rust and
orange of this time of year.


 
Considering the drought we had this year, these fruits are huge.  More grapefruit sized than orange sized.

 
Another neighbor, having his driveway widened, cut down some cedars.  I just had to break some twigs to add to my arrangement.

 
If I could, I'd walk the neighborhood with snips to sample all the colors and beautiful leaves.
Instead I walk and find treasures on the ground.  No one minds when you pick up their fallen leaves.
After almost 2 hours of raking and blowing the leaves off my own front yard...I wish someone would come and take a couple of bushels! ;-)


 
Gifts free for the taking.  Life is a banquet, and I am enjoying the complimentary buffet!  Have a beautiful day my friends.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Come on over here . . . at this three times in five days . . . my body quit today!

Our Hopeful Home said...

Great pics. In Kansas we called them Hedge Apples. I sued to go across the street to my neighbor's and carry away bags full of them. She hated them and I loved them! Even made a colossal failed attempt at a Martha Stewart craft (she said to cut them and heat them in the oven --don't do it!) My husband has been known to stop on the side of the road and collect them for me! Our sleepy village has tons so I'm in heaven. Great minds, Penny, great minds....