Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Tattered Garland with Lights


 
This is one of the little projects I alluded to in my last post.  One of those someday when I have the time kind of crafts... Well, someday came and here are the results.  A tattered garland for my front entry.

 
I grabbed some fabric, scissors and a couple of rulers.  I also grabbed a box of led lights I got for 80% off at the Hob Lob after Halloween last year.

 
I asked my DH to help tear all the strips of fabric.  They are one inch wide and the width of the fabric long.
Then we cut pieces 12 inches long.

 
I used one striped fabric as a little contrast.

 
Here seen from inside my front door at night.

I tied the strips right to the cord between the lights.  Maybe seven or eight strips between each light.
It went very quickly, about an hour working time total.  It helps to have a buddy tearing and cutting while you are tying. (Thanks honey!)

I like it, makes my house look less like the Grinch that stole Halloween lives here.(You know better, she does!;-) I can keep it up through Thanksgiving. (Guess who's coming to dinner?  YES, Penny, Kris...and Doug!)

The fabric was old for the most part, along with one of these bags that my friend Barb sent me.  They are vanilla bean mulch bags.  They have a beautiful vintage look with spots and discolorations that I just love.  I cut and used one bag to add to the garland.  I have other ideas for this already perfectly distressed fabric.  Thank you Barb for thinking of me, and if you want some Halloween, check out her post about a harvest fest she attended in her vintage camper.  Yikes!



Thanks for stopping by, service night this week which means I have some sewing to do.  I also have a little baking and a annual visit with one of my dearest pals Laura to celebrate her birthday.  Really looking forward to a girl's day out!  Have a great day my friends.


Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

savvycityfarmer said...

I think I'm love ...
no really in love!!
well done, my friend

Jill said...

I LOVE this!!! What a great idea!

The Feathered Nest said...

I LOVE this Penny!!! What a wonderful idea!! I would love it inside the house too...I saw somewhere where someone made something similar to this using muslin strips and different lace pieces :) I hope you are having a great week sweet friend! hugs and love, Dawn

Lynne said...

I liked this too Penny . . . great idea!

I think your Thanksgiving will be "over the moon" THANKFUL and DELIGHTFUL!

babs said...

Somehow I just knew you could creatively use those bags. Want more....?

Debby said...

I ove it. Anything with lights looks great but this is different and even greater.

Debby said...

I nominatedd you for the Leibster award today. Check it out on my blog.