Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Little Projects


Sometimes I love the spontaneous project.  The one you get into, never thinking I should take a photo before.  These two large oval bird prints called my name.  Penny, they said...we know our plastic frames are ugly, but don't you have some chalk paint left in that can?  Why yes, I said, I do! ;-)  Anyway, I brought them home, popped the prints out of the frames and gave them a little makeover.
 They are pretty!

 What a little paint and some distressing can do!
I found this eyelet crib skirt still in the package for .99.  Almost 3 yards of 8 inch wide eyelet, and the prettiest ecru color.

 This pressed glass jar was also a dollar.
 I've got myself a little collection going. This is a cabinet in the downstairs powder room.
I've been on the hunt for queen sized sheets for Jon and Charlotte's new bed.  I found them one that was 
almost big enough for their super high mattress.  In the process, I have found a couple for my beds here at the Farm in the Willows B&B.(Our last name is Willoughby, which means Farm in the Willows!)  Anyway, it feels like I am running one when all the kids are home and all three queen sized mattresses need changing.  I found this Waverly patterned knit sheet. Marked a queen, actually a full, but it fit!
...and this Laura Ashley.  A little over $5 for both.  It's funny, since I have been thrifting these last couple of years, it is so hard to pay regular prices on anything I need.  Even at the thrift, I won't buy it unless it's like new, I really like it, have someplace to put it and have a coupon.  I like to be called thrifty so much better than cheap. ;-)

I had planned on an outing today with my partner in thriftiness, Melanie, but she is a little under the weather.
Feel better soon, there are bargains waiting for you to recover Mel! Speaking of the weather, come on and rain already.  We haven't had a decent downpour since babygrand was here the last week of May.  Still the garden is coming along, the few pots I planted are filling in and the circle garden out back has been 2/3 turned and weeded, thanks to my gardening buddy Charlotte.  She got her hands dirty planting a few pots, weeding and got a little too much sun on her fair skin.  We talked while weeding and it sure made it less tedious, it was a downright pleasure sharing time together.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  Enjoy this beautiful day.

4 comments:

Lynne said...

Not sure how you do it . . . must be tons of thrift, second hand, treasure city spots around your neck of the woods!

I hope we will get to see pictures of your circular garden!

I hope you needed the rain as much as we did . . .

Melanie said...

Love the bird prints and how you painted the frames! Great finds and deals on the sheets. I need new sheets for our bed but haven't had any luck finding any decent ones at thrift shops. Hope to see you soon!

The Feathered Nest said...

Hi sweet friend! I just LOVE the oval bird prints and the gorgeous frames that you painted...they are absolutely perfect. I'm the exact same way Penny ~ when I thrift now, I am SO very picky. I don't need to add more to my hoard so it truly has to useful and wonderful! Love your finds...sending you big ol' GA hugs dear friend, Dawn

Our Hopeful Home said...

Your frame project is right up my alley. Also love the sheets, I'm the same way. It's so hard to pay full price! We've had plenty of rain this week, hope you get some soon!
xo Kathy