Thursday, October 23, 2014

Granny's Revenge


I started this shawl a couple of years ago.  Our Guild calls them Prayer Shawls.  We make them for family, friends and strangers who are ill and need support and the comfort of knowing that they are remembered in prayer and surrounded with love.  It is really a lovely thing.  The Granny's Revenge part is this particular granny shawl pattern has caused me much trouble. I start things and put them down all the time. It is a great pattern.  I love the granny rectangle.  Since I started making it so long ago, I have lost the pattern of the starting or foundation chain... and now that this one is going, I want to make another.
I have been looking for the pattern for months.  Even Google is annoyed with me.  As soon as I google granny scarf or granny rectangle the search goes, VISITED...and the dates...It doesn't say, You Again?...but it wants to!  I've just about torn my house apart looking for the slip of paper or notebook I surely wrote it down in.  Now, there are other techniques to make the rectangle, but I cannot find this caterpillar type foundation that makes a really sturdy and beautiful center. It is driving me crazy! (As Dad would say, "It's not a drive, it's a short putt.)
Since it is in the middle of a seven foot shawl, I cannot reverse engineer it.  I have not been able to replicate the stitch with my pea sized problem solving brain.  I hate when that happens. I even posted this picture on a crochet site asking for help....No one seems to know.
So my revenge, make another kind of granny shawl. One that's in my head and a good way to use small scraps. I'll show you! ( ...to no one in particular!) ;-) It feels so good to stop looking, she says half heartedly.
Let's change the subject...
Loving the smell of these pine cones and cinnamon sticks.  I added some pumpkin spice scented oil and it fills the house.  I got the oil at Edwards Apple Orchard.
...And then there were 5 beautiful orchids on my tiny plant.  What a unexpected pleasure watching this little plant bloom.

Recently, we took a lovely Autumn walk at The Grove in Glenview, Illinois.  I have some photos I'll share tomorrow.

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind comments. Enjoy this beautiful day my friends.

4 comments:

babs said...

Love. The pink and green and white. Try ravelry.com
For pattern. Thinking of you often. Hugs.

Melanie said...

Well, you know I certainly can't offer any advice or help on your crocheting! lol All I can tell you is that your shawl looks beautiful. How blessed someone will be to be wrapped in something so beautiful and know people are praying for them. xoxo

Susan in SC said...

Oh dear, now you have me looking for it as well, LOL! It's a beautiful shawl and blanket.

Lynne said...

I have no clue of where to find the pattern, Barbie might be right.