Monday, October 20, 2014

Weekend Update


Since we had so much to do during the week, our weekend was pretty low key.  We walked at the Lake, but not on the beach as we  usually do.  There was no beach to speak of. The Lake was churning and roaring, and the beach was covered in pools of water washed up by the waves.  It was thrilling and awesome and scary all at the same time.  I have never heard the Lake roar and rumble like it did Saturday.
The sky was many shades of gray, and the wind was very cold.  We weren't really prepared for the wind and our walk was brisk but protected on the road where it was at least 20 degrees warmer. It took a while for our hands to thaw, but the amazing experience was worth the discomfort we felt.

 Early Sunday we went to the local thrift.  We had the place almost to ourselves, being early birds and wanting to get home before the Bear's game.  (They lost!)  I found a few cool things,  The little pilgrim girl, an oval mirror, a vintage 2 cup measuring bowl and a bag of yarn.
 She'll look great under a cloche.
This mirror had some funky decals on it that came off with a razor blade and a little adhesive remover.  It has two holes so it can be hung with a ribbon.
So many uses, and in my kitchen at the holidays, every bowl I have gets used. You might see a giant jar of pretzels behind the bowl.  A generous gift for no reason at all, found on our doorstep.  We have the sweetest friends. Thank you Jean and Tom.
The yarn was a kit to make a wreath for autumn, which I won't ever make.  Seven skeins of yarn for $4 was a deal.  Yarn will never go to waste, if I can't use it, Kristen will. You'd think after my last crochet project I wouldn't be thinking of crochet, but actually now that I can make whatever I want, I really want to crochet.  First, I am finishing a prayer shawl that I started long ago and there is a need for now.
While the beef stew for dinner cooked, we walked the neighborhood.  There is so much beauty just outside our door.  I never get tired of English Valley, in fact, I always dreamed of a place where nature was close enough to enjoy everyday.(More than a sparrow, a squirrel and the tree in the parkway.)  Growing up in the city, seeing a flock of geese fly by was a rare occurrence indeed.
 It is so peaceful and calming.  I so appreciate the beauty of a Autumn day.

 A neighbor's hydrangea kissed by frost.
 The kind of litter I really love.
No words, just sighs.

Thanks for stopping by my friends, and for all of your kind comments.  Enjoy this beautiful day.

2 comments:

Our Hopeful Home said...

I never knew how magnificent Lake Michigan really was until I started spending time in St. Joe. The beaches and the water really do remind me of the shore back home. Haven't been there much this year, and I miss it. The leaves are gorgeous there right now:) We have it pretty good, too, don't we? I love just driving around my house and looking at the glorious leaves. Nice thrifting, you might even use that mirror kind of like a cake plate and place it under that cloche with your Pilgrim friend? Or anything else for that matter -- I see some small, silvery Christmas trees on it. Enjoy the last of our fall weather! We know Brrr is coming soon!
xoKathy

Lynne said...

So many things of beauty can be found this time of the year. I enjoyed your post and the touches of fall.
Especially the "Make Way For Ducklings . . ."