Monday, February 6, 2017

Helicopters and other cool stuff.

 Expecting company for Super Bowl Sunday later in the day, we got an early start to Lake Geneva Wisconsin, for their Winterfest and U.S. National Snow Sculpting Competition. The excitement started when two helicopters flew over our shoulders, and over the lake.  They turned and headed back our way and landed about 100 feet away from us on the frozen lake.
 I am usually terrified of hovering helicopters, but they were relativity quiet.  It was really cool to see them close up.  I'm not sure if it was an exercise or demo or what, but WOW.
 Some of the sculptures were creepy...

 Some were divine...
 This one was creepy one way...

beautiful the other...
 With the winter light there is very little contrast between the snow and the sky.  This was a monster under the bed...
 The drawing of the above...
 and his hand on the book.
 This one was lovely...
 The back of which had this rose carved into it.
 The circus...Penny corrected me.  We face timed as we walked about and I told her this was a lion.  She said that tigers have their ears on top of their head, not lions.  
 This was my favorite, all these graceful dancers.


Lake Geneva is beautiful in all seasons, but I like winter best.
We usually go to Starved Rock State Park to see the eagles that roost along the river on Superbowl Sunday, but since we had just visited in the fall, decided not to.  I missed our pals but we'll meet soon to celebrate our winter birthdays like we've done since we were teens.

I never took a photo of our football festivities, but here's what we ate.  Tacos and fajitas, taco rice.  Mike made the peppers and chicken for the fajitas, also Amanda and Mike brought little Smokey sausages they cooked in their crock pot with barbecue sauce and cherry jelly.  Jon and Charlotte brought their blender and made margaritas.  Chips, salsa and quesso dip. Ice cream cones or donuts for dessert.  Always great to have the kids home.  Kris and Doug and Penny were home since Kris has been sick.  We missed you guys. 

Seven years ago I wanted to do something brave to mark my 55th birthday, and this blog, At Home in English Valley was that brave thing.  Seven years later I am still at it, chronicling my life.  I am amazed that I've kept it up, and can't believe that you dear reader take the time to stop by... 
 I thank you for your friendship.  


Thanks so much for your kind comments. Welcome to a new follower. 
Enjoy this beautiful day.

Love, Penny  

2 comments:

Amy at love made my home said...

The sculptures are amazing aren't they!

Our Hopeful Home said...

Hello Penny! Haven't been around much lately but love to hear about your escapades and fun times with the hubs and kids! The ice sculpture event sounds pretty cool we might just have to check it out next year! Nice that you guys find ways to enjoy this midwest winter... xoKathy