Monday, June 5, 2017

It's all about the garden...

 The search for hollyhocks took us far and near.  Of course we found them right in our own backyard here in Palatine.  Hollyhocks are the one flowering plant that I have been missing for years.
 They will go in the circle garden that I have neglected this spring.
I can't wait to see what colors I have.  I vividly remember hollyhocks from my youth, but usually in other peoples gardens.    They seemed to be everywhere.  I have always loved hollyhocks, and now they will be part of my garden.
 My little herb garden is complete, thyme, basil and lemon balm.
 Everything is filling in and growing nicely.
 This is rose mallow that I haven't seen in the garden since we removed the pond.  It will be filled with rose colored flowers in a week or two
 My Annabelle hydreagea is covered in buds.

 as is my little plot of lavender.  This little crop is full and lush this year.

 The peonies are still blooming and the first bunch I cut are still beautiful in a vase inside.
A zinnia  means summer!
 We did hit the thrift...and I found this bouquet.  A couple of dollars for all the flowers...
 before deconstruction...
 roses,
 ranunculus, white and yellow.


I was lucky at a couple of garage sales and found some vintage linens for a quarter each.  Some young girls were selling American Girl doll clothes for .50 each.  I bought Penny some cute tiny dresses for her doll.  I also bought the tartan covered casserole.  Thinking ahead to Christmas.
A vintage book of Hymns.




Then the candle holders.  Making even a funky citronella candle pretty outside.

 Orphan needlework.
 A Pottery Barn silver plated julep cup.  A silver hobnail vase with handle.

 Miscellaneous treasures.  A zinc basket, a bobbin, and a small box that looks like a book filled with sewing pins.
I have a cloche with small books, and this will look perfect on my stack.

Laundry, watering, planting, planning, up with the sun.  The calendar still says spring, but it sure feels like summer.
Enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I love hollyhocks and have tried to grow them several times. I can't wait to see how yours do. I can't plant any because we're moving. Maybe at the new house I can try again!

Barbara Lilian in France said...

Good morning Penny.
It's been a long time since I popped by to say hello. I've been house hunting travelling around not settled anywhere, so my life has been disrupted so much I didn't have time to post on my own blog or read any. But soon we I will be moving into our tiny cottage we have found. It was lovely to see you had planted Hollyhocks as where we are going to live they are everywhere. I look forward to seeing how yours grow. You have been busy in your garden, nice to see your Lavender is growing well.

Lynne said...

Oh my Penny . . .
You are a gardening queen . . .
Look at all your flowering gems . . .
And look at all those bargain finds . . .
Oh my!