Monday, August 7, 2017

This and That

  I



If you saw my last post I featured a photo from a shop in Galena of a beautifully simple pillow with a big price tag.  So I made my own, for a few dollars.

  I headed to the thrift and I found this square pillow with a pillow form for $1.99 . I washed and dried the pillowcase and traced the largest heart I could and sewed along the line.

 The coolest part of the pillow in Galena was it's weight and feel.  It was filled with feathers.
 I made a liner of muslin for the inside.  I never worked with feathers before.  This was a learning experience.  I had another pillow, filled with feathers.
also thrifted a while back for $1.99
 I work with stuffing all the time.  How hard could working with feathers be?...
 Well, my deck looked like a chicken exploded.  Feathers were flying everywhere.  The muslin liner is not ticking, so feathers sometimes poke through.  Like I said, a learning experience.
 In the end the pillow looked really good, and has the same heavy feel of the one I saw.
 The back has buttons and looks cool that way too.
So here is my feather heart, smaller but just as sweet.  
With the same shabby edge as the one I saw and for about $5.00.

Check out the fancy legs on this one!
 Here's another bargain I found.  I walked in the door of the Goodwill and this table was there with a $1.99 price tag.  My dearest and I looked it over, and except for a wobbly leg it looked great.  Some of the staff came out and and helped us turn it over.  I knew I could fix it, so we took it home.
 With a bit of Aleene's Tacky Glue and some weight on the top overnight, no more wobble, and I got this great table.  Inside it has a Tommy Bahama, Lexington label.  I could not find anything online about it, but it's a quality piece.
 I've had this lamp for at least 30 years.  It's been in our bedroom forever. I recently moved it to the family room, but the table it was on just wasn't right.

I think this one is perfect.  Can you imagine $1.99?
Happy Dance! 
Do you see where this is going? The honey pine armoire needs a little paint.
I swear it's the cooler temps we've been having...I am starting my fall nesting early!

When one thing leads to another...
I moved the two parsons chairs to the dining room with two black chairs .

Now that I am using the parsons chairs in the dining room, I needed a couple of additional chairs for company.  I found two of these chairs at our parish rummage sale. I am in the process of recovering the seats and will paint and distress the wood. 

We had a great weekend,
 That included a trip to see my future DIL in Roller Derby!  I did not know what to expect.  I remember seeing Roller Derby on TV when we were kids.  It was totally different.  Much more a sport, and not the mayhem we used to see on the banked course.  We had a really good time.  People were friendly and our girl Amanda was amazing.  Amanda's team won the match.  Good sportsmanship is the rule, and strategy is how the game is played.  Amanda just flies on those skates.  It was so cool, so glad we finally saw her in action.
Father and Son.  They take sports seriously.

                                     
 Also on Saturday we stopped at the fancy pants mall to hear some Jazz.  A local personality Wayne Messmer sang with the band.  The music was good, and as you can see, the place was packed.

On Sunday in Long Grove, a neighboring community, has a afternoon concert series.  A good bluegrass band from California played.  The weather looked threatening, but it turned out to be a lovely afternoon. 

Another beautiful summer week.  
We have packed every fun thing we can into this summer
 and we still have several weeks to go.  Thanks for stopping by and enjoy this beautiful day.
Love, Penny





5 comments:

Melanie said...

Hi Penny! Love the pillow you made...can't believe the one you saw in Galena was $150. Crazy! I am so jealous of that end table you got at Goodwill for the price you did - wow! I found the Tommy Bahama Lexington info online for you:

https://www.lexington.com/collections/tommy-bahama-home

Sounds like you've been having a lot of fun...Roller Derby, how cool! Hope to see you soon...

Love,
Mel

Amy at love made my home said...

What a great find your table was! The cushion is lovely isn't it and far better than the one in the shop!!

Lynne said...

Love the table . . .
Grab my arm and take me tgrifting . . . with you!

Lynne said...

Thrifting . . .

Unknown said...

You always find the coolest things at the greatest prices��